Areas of Specialism
Metaphysics, Social and Political Philosophy, Philosophy of Sex and Gender, Philosophy of Race
Areas of Competence
Ethics, Epistemology, Philosophy of Mind
- 2016- Assistant Professor, Department of Philosophy, University of Nottingham
- 2015-2016 Junior Research Fellow, Jesus College, Cambridge
2012-present PhD in Philosophy, University of Sheffield
Thesis title: Ontic Injustice
Supervisors: Professor Jennifer Saul, Professor Miranda Fricker
2011-2012 MPhil in Philosophy at Emmanuel College, University of Cambridge (Distinction)
Thesis title: ‘Radical Feminism and Critical Theory’
Supervisor: Professor Raymond Geuss
Essay topics: feminism, liberalism, and gender socialization; prostitution and voluntariness; abortion and killing.
2008-2011 B.A. in Philosophy at Emmanuel College, University of Cambridge (First Class Honours)
Areas studied: metaphysics and philosophy of mind, ethics, logic, political philosophy, aesthetics. Final year dissertation in metaphysics on eliminative theories of the self.
2014 ‘“That’s Not Philosophy”: Feminism, Academia, and the Double Bind’. Journal of Gender Studies, Volume 23, Issue 3, pp. 262-274.
2016 ‘Amelioration and Inclusion: Gender Identity and the Concept of Woman’, Ethics.
Forth. 2016 ‘Rape Myths and Domestic Abuse Myths as Hermeneutical Injustices’. Journal of Applied Philosophy, Special Issue: ‘Applied Epistemology’.
Forth. 2016 ‘Pornography and Social Ontology’, in Feminist Philosophy and Pornography: New Directions, ed. Mari Mikkola. Forthcoming with Oxford University Press.
2014-2015 Module Convenor, University of Sheffield
- Philosophy of Sex (3rd year and M.A.). Responsible for course creation, lecturing, seminar provision, MA supervision, and setting and marking assessment.
2012-2015 Tutorial Tutor, University of Sheffield
- Feminism: Politics and Rationality (2nd and 3rdYear)
- Knowledge, Justification and Doubt (1st Year)
- Mind, Brain and Personal Identity (1st Year)
- Matters of Life and Death (1st Year)
2011-2012 Co-teacher and Marker, University of Cambridge
- Formal Logic (1st Year)
- 2015 ‘The Institutional Reality of Gender’, Workshop on Feminist Ontology, MIT
- 2015 ‘Philosophy, Difference, and Doing Philosophy Differently’, Durham Philosophy Inclusion and Diversity Group Spring Workshop: Responsibility and Resistance, University of Durham
- 2015 (with Jennifer Saul) ‘The Pragmatics of Inclusivity: Visual and Linguistic Cues to Group Membership’, Race and Aesthetics, hosted by the British Society of Aesthetics, Leeds; Frege Lectures 2015, University of Tartu; Implicit Bias, University of Leeds.
- 2014 ‘Race, Gender and Institutional Reality’, PERSP Metaphysics Seminar, University of Barcelona.
- 2013 ‘Agents of Ameliorative Inquiry: Who are ‘we’? Who do we want ‘us’ to be?’, Workshop on Haslanger on Ameliorative Projects, St Andrews.
- 2014 ‘Trans-inclusivity and Haslanger’s Gender Concepts’, 88th Joint Session of the Aristotelian Society and the Mind Association (Open Sessions), University of Cambridge.
- 2014 ‘Ontic Injustice’, Association of Legal and Social Philosophers Annual Conference: Injustice, University of Leeds.
- 2014 ‘Unjust Myths: Domestic Abuse and Hermeneutical Injustice’, at Understanding Epistemic Injustice, University of Bristol.
- 2013 ‘“What Are Women For?”: Pornography and Social Ontology’, at Feminist Philosophy and Pornography, Humboldt University, Berlin.
- 2012 ‘Critical Theory and Radical Feminism’, at Weighs Like a Nightmare, 9th Annual Historical Materialism Conference, SOAS, London.
- 2012 ‘Feminism in Academia and the Double Bind’, at Feminism in Academia: An Age of Austerity?, University of Nottingham.
- 2012 ‘Feminism, Liberalism, and Gender Socialization’, at Feminism and Liberalism Graduate Conference, University of Memphis.
Awards and Grants
- 2014 Understanding Value III: University of Sheffield Graduate Conference in Philosophy (co-applicant).
- British Society of Aesthetics Conference Grant (£1000)
- Society of Applied Philosophy Conference Grant (£750)
- Mind Association Conference Grant (£700)
- Analysis Trust Conference Bursaries (£312)
- Aristotelian Society Conference Grant (£300)
- 2012-2016 AHRC PhD Studentship, University of Sheffield
- 2012 Matthew Buncombe Prize for Best Performance in the Philosophy MPhil, University of Cambridge
- 2011-2012 AHRC Research Preparation Studentship, University of Cambridge
- 2011 Craig Taylor Prize for Best Performance in the final year of the Philosophy B.A., University of Cambridge
- 2014-present Society for Women in Philosophy Committee Member -Responsibilities: Funding Committee, 2015 Joint Session Panel Organiser
- 2014- 2015 Chair of the Philosophy Department Equality and Diversity Committee, University of Sheffield
- 2014 Co-chair of the Organizing Committee for the graduate conference ‘Understanding Value III’, University of Sheffield
- 2011-2012 Graduate Representative to the Faculty Board, University of Cambridge
Outreach and Impact Activities
- 2014 Guest speaker, Get Real Philosophical Discussion: Equality, QUAD Art Gallery, Derby
- 2014 Lecturer and Workshop Leader, Thomas Rotherham College Philosophy Visit, University of Sheffield. Designed and delivered a workshop on personal identity and thought experiments, including lecture and discussion activities, for Year 12/13 philosophy students.
- 2013-2014 Seminar Leader, Discover Arts and Humanities Taster Days, University of Sheffield
- 2013-2014 Philosophy in the City Link Co-ordinator (Meadowhead School), Sheffield University. Held fortnightly philosophy discussion sessions with Year 11 pupils. Collaborated with a teacher to develop curriculum and produce teaching materials on pornography, which were informed by my research on this topic.